Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 1 - Mobile, Alabama

488 Miles

Go Tide!  That's obligatory whenever you enter this area.  Dire consequences may follow if you fail.

Got of a little late this morning, having to get meds picked up, etc.  That put me dead in the middle of morning drive-time in Houston.  Houston is so bloody big it takes about an hour for me to go from my house to Beltway 8 and I-10 East, the point I consider finally out of Houston and starting to travel.

Unfortunately, no great scenery today.  I'm all slab trying to make some time.  That was a little difficult because I found myself having to make way too many stops.  The problem?  Well...it's a little touchy, kind of...and somewhat embarrassing...and scatological in nature; as if there is anything more "natural," huh?  But, I guess it's okay.  Mozart's letters to his sister are full of such references.  If a genius of that level can talk about it, I can too.  At least I'm in good company.

Okay, here's the problem.  I was, oh, how does one say this, a little loose this morning; the result of over medicating to insure a modicum of softness in an area very much requiring it.  You see, I've never mentioned this before, but I did my entire Spain-Portugal ride (see http://bigmotoride9.blogspot.com/) last year with a hemorrhoid the size of a hand grenade.  Troubles with my GPS were only part of that trip story and, trust me, you don't want to spend eight to ten hours a day on a bike with that going on.  So...I, probably, over medicated the last couple of days to attempt to avoid a repeat of that problem.  You may be happy to know I seem to have been successful (so far, anyway).  I have, however, added an entire new dimension to the term "gas stop."  And there were entirely too many of them today.

In any event, I managed to get down the highway, in relatively good order.  As many are aware, one of my treats is finding and eating as some of the diners shown on the TV show 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.'  I managed to do that today, stopping in Mandeville, LA about 5:00pm at the Louie and Red Head Lady restaurant (Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Louie-and-the-Redhead-Lady/125543745828).   

For my French friends, yeah, I know, it's way too early to eat.  But, what are you going to do?  When in Rome...etc., etc..
From FB Page

It was too late for their breakfast specials, but I had a great shrimp/pasta dish with a very nice white wine/cream sauce.  It was excellent, though could have used some "color" from a presentation standpoing.   Unfortunately, I went braindead and didn't get a picture of the entire edifice with sign, but here's what I did get.








Betsy classing up the place as she so often does.







Restaurant with my server

Other side (of both)























Sorry I wasn't here for their breakfast.  They sound great, ala crabmeat omlettes with grits.  What's not to love?

Pulled into Mobile and am now at the Red Roof Inn happily blogging away.  I know, the RRI, but, hey, I'm retired now and on a fixed income.   One has to make adjustments.  Besides, the room's clean, A/C works, and I have Wi-Fi.  Wondering why I was paying so much for the same things before?  Well...live and learn.

Tomorrow is history is any guide, I'll be up with the roosters and we'll begin again.



1 comment:

  1. Just got back Sunday night from that direction. Stayed at Frt Walton Beach, Okaloosa Island for a few days after the Labor Day crowds had gone. I could have settled in for awhile. Next time, take 105 east to Beaumont...it's a breeze compared to I-10. The Coffee Cup in Pensacola is a nice, old breakfast dive, and the timing should be about right. Oh, I'm envious, and ready to get the four wheels going again.

    ReplyDelete